Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Morses and Mintons and Miles, Oh My!

I went back to high school last night in my dreams. I sat in my 11th grade honors English class... except it was a different room, and Mrs. Morse was absent (which kept the dream from being classified as a nightmare :)) As we all know, with a substitute teacher often comes busy-work. The substitute walked in the room and explained that we could receive points that day for three things: taking advantage of the reading day, working on our house projects, or both. In the dream the "reading day" was actually a movie day, but in real life the "movie" we were supposed to watch was one of my current favorite bands, Death Cab for Cutie. Very dream-like. The house project? I'm not sure... but everyone in the class had on their desk a small stack of magazines, popsicle sticks, and glue, and no one looked confused when the substitute said we could work on our house projects. I assure you, Teresa Morse never assigned such a project, although the first-grader that I babysit completed something similar a few weeks ago...

After English I ran laps in gym class with my all-time favorite teacher, Ms. Minton (who is now a very happy Mrs. Criswell.) Is anyone surprised that my favorite teacher is one who is notorious for making her students run a mile every day? I loved it. Everyone had a partner, and each person had to run 400 meters, twice, as part of a relay race. In Dream DSF, ten laps around the small gym equalled 400 meters, and while everyone in the class ran, I sat out and talked with Ms. Minton, who told me that the last time she saw me I had a stomach pooch from the summer, and that I look better now. No offense taken. Apparently in this dream, she spoke the truth.

Oh, dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment