Sunday, December 6, 2009

Yesterday's Dreams

I did not write down my dreams yesterday morning because I was busy eating breakfast and drinking coffee with Mallory while half-watching That's So Raven. As you might guess, neither of us are really interested in that show, but we had designated Saturday as our "deep clean the apartment" day, so I suppose it was a form of procrastination. I did have a few pretty good dreams though:

1. I parked my car and walked up the sidewalk towards my apartment. When I reached the door, I turned around and saw that Mallory was pulling onto the street, so I decided to wait for her inside the door. I watched as she parked across the street, stepped out of her car, looked around her, and casually walked towards a building across the street and to the right of our apartment. As she approached, the face of the building opened into a brick archway leading to an alley, which led into a building, and she entered. Through our glass door I could see shelves of books in the alley, and I was intrigued. What was this place, and why had I never seen it before? And what was Mallory doing? I think she was spy, but I didn't follow her.

2. I think this was a separate dream, but I can't be positive. I walked up a flight of stairs to my apartment, except it wasn't my apartment. The building was on stilts--like a beach house-- and had multiple sets of stairs. I climbed the set that I thought led to my apartment, but didn't recognize any of the doors on that floor. I walked back down and tried another set of stairs. At the top I bumped into Rebecca Logan (see my November 5th entry if you have no idea who this is...) and asked her to help me find my apartment. As we walked we were suddenly on a college campus... that looked just like Short Pump Mall. And we definitely couldn't find my apartment at that point.

3. I wish I could recall more of this dream, but what I do have is decent material. It was dark outside, and a guy friend (I don't know who it was) and I stood in the back of someone's house by their sliding glass door. We knew the people who lived there, and we must have knocked because they came to the door, but the man and woman refused to open it. We were confused, and the people explained that we were vampires, and they could not invite us into their home (for obvious reasons.) My friend and I felt sad; we had no idea until that point that we were the enemy. Somehow we did enter the house, but I can't remember anything that happened inside. When we left out the back door I almost forgot my purse, which I had set down on the grill, but turned around and picked it up before we left. We-ird.

4. I was back in Kenya, walking alone (actually, I might have been riding a camel at one point) at night on a dirt road. I suddenly became aware that what I was doing was definitely not safe. A man was walking towards me on the other side of the road, and I thought, "This is why women do not walk alone at night in Kenya..." Then I realized I was wearing my Birkenstocks (which I've had for seven years, by the way,) and they were clomping loudly on the ground with every step I took. They looked like clown shoes. The man walking towards me, and now others who were on the road, criticized my shoes... laughing and saying how no one wears Birkenstocks anymore. Whatever. I love my shoes.

I reached my destination safely, and for some reason I was making a quick trip back to the states, then returning to Kenya a few days later. I thought, "This is going to get expensive if I keep doing this..." I was in the hall at church where my office is located (still in Kenya though), and there were about a dozen other people--American citizens-- sitting on the floor. They were hungry, so I volunteered whatever food was in my office. As I walked into my office to gather food I told them that I thought I had turkey to make sandwiches, but when I opened my refridgerator (which I do NOT have in my office), there was only one carton of milk. Oops. I found some other food in my cabinets, and walked back into the hall and reported that they could have milk, granola bars, or pretzels, but no turkey.

Stay tuned for Saturday night's dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment