Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Giant Leaf Piles and Hot Apple Cider

For most of my life I have been a summer girl, but in the last few years I have switched my allegiance to autumn. I can't get enough of the season. The smell of leaves and cool air, the sight of red, orange, and yellow foliage, the sound of dry leaves crunching underfoot as I walk down the sidewalk...even the lighting is a little more beautiful. The five senses aren't enough to take it all in; I want it to be a part of me.

I am not, therefore, the least bit surprised that I dreamed about fall last night. I drove west on Patterson, as I do many days to go to work, with Jonathan Dreiling. The trees towered into a canopy over us, and as the wind blew we drove through a shower of leaves. And we smiled. Then we discovered that we both love the season, and began saying things ecstatically like, "I LOVE... Richmond! I love God! I love fall!" Over and over and over... We couldn't adequately express our joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment