Tuesday, November 3, 2009

(S)Muggle(r)s

At 7:03 a.m. I pressed the snooze button on my phone. Still in my cocoon of blankets I took a moment to conceptualize my dreams before drifting back to sleep. At 7:13 I turned off my alarm, sat up, and opened my laptop to check my email. At 7:18 I realized I had lost the dreams when I fell back asleep. Unacceptable. In a desperate dream-rescue attempt, I closed my laptop, lay back down, and pulled the covers back over my head to recreate the scene. After only a moment of being still, the dreams returned to me... I find it fascinating. Here's what I recall:

Allison and I were in the middle of a long run (evidence that it was in fact a dream :) My mom's friend Bill asked me last night if I had someone that I've been training with regularly for the upcoming half marathon. My response was, "I have someone that I run with... but I wouldn't use the word 'regularly...'" Allison and I share the thought that... why train when the human body can do such amazing things by itself?) Anyway, in my dream we were on a long run and needed to make a water stop at McDonald's. Why McDonald's? Because we looked to the left and saw the golden arches down a steep hill that would only take us a little bit off course. But why did I dream about McDonald's? I blame the media.

We started running down the hill, and a soccer field appeared on our right. Players began disappearing as we ran past them. It became evident to us that we were tracing an invisibility cloak around the field (obviously,) and the players continued disappearing one by one. It was not our intention to make them invisible--nor did we really find it as interesting as you might think-- it was simply happening, and we acknowledged it.

By the fourth side of the field, I was alone... briefly...and then the soccer field became the setting of a youth group picnic. One of the boys in the group asked to use the restroom. I have recently (in waking life) become aware that this particular youth might be a trouble-maker, and that transferred into the dream. I watched suspiciously as he walked across the field toward the building. Through the window I could see that he did not stop on the first floor-- the location of the most obvious, most accessible restroom. Aha. Up to no good. I ran after him, caught up to him on the third floor, and confronted him about his true intentions. He replied, "The first floor bathroom had pee pee in it." Yep. Apparently he wasn't lying, but I was not the one to check. Sorry I doubted you, kiddo.

I only have a short clip of dream two, and I think it came from watching Grey's Anatomy last night. In the dream I was standing in the hallway of a hospital with someone (not sure who, but I am pretty certain it was a woman,) and realized that she was smuggling a patient out. The patient (also a woman, I believe,) was bleeding and may have only had one leg, but she was eager to escape the hospital. I snapped into stealth mode and helped transfer the patient into a deserted room. The smuggler directed my attention to a computer screen with a picture of a newborn baby. The implication was that we also needed to take the baby, which I knew was wrong even though in the dream I "really wanted a baby!" This part of the dream came from talking to Karen last night about all the friends we know who are having babies (how crazy it is... not that we want them :)) The last I remember of the dream was the argument about whether to take the baby in the picture.

Sometimes I don't realize how weird my dreams are until I write them down...

No comments:

Post a Comment