Sunday, November 1, 2009

Twix is my new favorite candy.

Halloween Hangover: the overall feeling one has on November 1st, resulting from eating way too much candy rather than dinner the night before. Yes, I may have eaten two pieces of candy for every one that I passed out to trick-or-treaters last night. Not surprisingly, I dreamed about Halloween candy...

I sat at my mom's kitchen table with a small crowd of people and a massive bowl of candy. The bowl contained all the types of candy that I actually handed out (and consequently ate) on Halloween--Starbursts, Skittles, Snickers, Milky Way, 3Musketeers, Twix-- plus Hershey bars. I don't think I even saw a Hershey bar yesterday, so it must have squeezed its way into my dream through power of association with the other candy. It's all about who you know. While unwrapping a Hershey bar someone made reference to how unhealthy it was. You know in that situation there is always someone who makes a joke like, "Oh, it doesn't have calories!" or "It's low-fat!" even though clearly that is not the case? Well, in my dream, I was that someone... except I said, "Oh, it's made with all-natural, organic dark chocolate!" As if that would put anyone's mind to ease. No one laughed. Thankfully the conversation (or perhaps just the dream) shifted to jewely. Someone said in a very condescending tone, "What do YOU know about making jewelry?" I make a fair amount of jewelry. It's a creative outlet for me, but every time I craft a piece it takes me a little while to decide if I love it or hate it...or if other people will love it or hate it. When this person directed the question at me in my dream, I experienced a brief moment of insecurity, then I looked around the room, and all the women were wearing necklaces that I had made. I responded confidently, "Actually... I know quite a lot."

In another dream last night my friend Elizabeth was in the process of writing a memoir on her teaching experiences. She gave me the privilege of writing the epilogue. She also allowed me to proof read the book, which actually contained no words; every page was a colored-pencil drawing of grass, trees, and sky. Every. Single. One. And I was captivated by the artistry of each page. The fact that the book contained no words was irrelevant. I still found it beautiful.

Then someone wanted to take my blood pressure and test my cholesterol levels; I passed out when I saw the needle.

If anyone is majoring in dream interpretation, wishes that was an option, or has any thoughts on the meanings of my dreams, feel free to leave comments! I have a slight fear that some deeply personal pattern will emerge in my dreams... and that someone else will see it before I do. If that's the case, you can just email me instead :)

No comments:

Post a Comment